Wheel Horse Forum

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1987 Wheel Horse 414-8
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 10:17 pm 

I have the tractor I used in high school now. It hasn't been used much in the last decade so it hasn't been maintained much but not abused either. I have been using it to mow my acre and run into minor issues here and there.

The latest issue is the plate or clutch plate on the brake for the PTO exploded today when i was almost done mowing. When I would engage the mower, there was very little resistance from the PTO (unusual). Then after a few laps or so I would notice where the mower stopped cutting. Also unusual. I started to get results by tightening the tension on the belt but eventually it would stop cutting again - that is until the PTO broke.

So now I am looking for a replacement for the brake plate on the PTO. I am guessing the pulley and all are fine, just need a new brake assembly. Suggestions?

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 5:09 am 

You should remove the pulley to make sure the back side is not scored up. That will only tear up a new friction surface.

You can get to the parts lists here
http://www.partstree.com/parts/
Type Toro in the 2nd box and the 31-14K802 model number in the 3rd box. Your local Toro dealer can order the parts if they don't have it.

A fresh smear of grease on the pto needle bearing before reassembly is a good idea. When you put everything back together leave the pto brake pad loose. Apply the pto so everything is tight and place a business card between the brake pad and the pulley. Hold the pad tight to the pulley as you tighten the bolts. Then remove the card. This gives the proper clearance. After a couple of pto clutch applications under load don't be surprised if you need to tighten the linkage to prevent clutch slippage. Don't want that to happen again. The pto handle should snap down with some authority.
One way to extend clutch life is to apply the clutch at 1/4 throttle before the deck is into the long grass. When the blades are up to speed increase the throttle to mowing speed.

Garry

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:07 am 

That was a big help. I installed a new clutch plate and found that the three bolts on the plate that holds the assembly to the frame were all loose. That may explain the poor performance of the PTO as well as why the plate exploded in such an unusual manner.

I changed the oil, greased all the points outlined in the manual, checked the tires, transmission fluid, new battery, sharp mower blades, new clutch plate, patted the hood and told it I loved it... All seems well. Old tractors need the tlc huh?