Wheel Horse Forum

It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Newbie needing advice
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:19 pm 

I have a 314-8 and a 200 ft driveway on a hill. Looking to purchase a snow blade or a snow thrower, can you advise me on which would be the most effect snow remover in this Pittsburgh PA climate? Also any ideas where I might make this used equipment purchase?

Thanks in advance

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:21 pm 

hello mongoose, what model 308 do you have? asking about hp, engine make , transmission. I wish I lived in penn, with all the available wheel horse swap meets down there, finding a 42" or a 48" blade should not be a problem. you will also need some rear wheel weights and rear wheel chains. plowing snow is a piece of cake to a w/h, I think the most important thing that you can learn is to take your time and work smart. too many guys use their plow like a battering ram, and break and bend things. I always " over plow " what ever I am doing because if you don't tomorrow you won't be able to move that frozen wall. example , don't ever just plow the driveway width, make your first plow cut at least 5ft wider than you need . that would be a pass on either side of your width so you have a place to go to with new snow. you should also plan on maintaining what ever you have , regularly get after it to keep what you need. just a couple of basics here, if there is anything else , just ask, pete

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:31 pm 

I have a WH C160 with Wheel weights and chains in Wisconsin and I find that I do 80% of my snow removal with my snow blade. It is usually does a cleaner job and seems faster. But when we really get hit I put the blower on. It takes me about 45 minutes to take of the blade and put on the blower but I find in the long run it saves me time because I just can not push the snow back far enough or get enough traction with the blade on the big jobs.