Wheel Horse Forum

It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1962 702 Suburban
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:54 am 

Hi all,
I am working on restoring my Wheel Horse. It has the HY-2, mower deck, dozer blade, plow, and cultivator attachments. How do I determine which models are for my tractor? I have downloaded all the manuals and wonder why so many models for each attachment.
Thanks, Lisa
Attachment:
Wheel Horse 1.jpg
Wheel Horse 1.jpg [ 62.93 KiB | Viewed 388 times ]

Post subject: Re: 1962 702 Suburban
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:25 am 

You are likely looking at the Attachment Interchange where many models are listed for each tractor model.

Usually the last digit of the model number designates the model year. As the tractor design evolved they would adapt an attachment to work on the new model tractors as well as the original. Sometimes that new model number would carry for more than one year which throws off the last digit format. They also used a new model number if an improvement was made to an existing attachment.
These older tractors are the only ones that have that comprehensive list.

As an example most attachments used in 1973 would also work on the last long frame model in 2007 but all those attachments are not listed anywhere to show that.
The list shows the original attachment used at the time, the model that replaced the original and the model available when the list was made. The missing models and there are many fall between the last two shown on the list.

That answer your question?

Garry

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:45 pm 

Yes, I wondered if these attachments were purchased with the tractor in '62 or if they were bought years later. The plow is the only item with a data plate. It reads Bolens.... 16216 01
I will have to ID them from the cool manuals I downloaded. I bet they were bought at the same time in 1962.
Thanks for your help! I am showing it and attachments at the Arizona Early Days Gas Engine & Tractor show this weekend in my hometown of Apache Junction.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:24 pm 

Enjoy the show.

If you come across any Wheel Horse product with a serial number on it I may be able to identify the model year. Wheel Horse never published serial numbers so have recorded about 8000 of them as I come across them. Have a good idea now what serials were used when.

Garry