Wheel Horse Forum

It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: restoration
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:49 pm 

Hi all, I am starting a restoration on my 1966 ? 857 I am wondering where to start concerning small parts such as decals, chrome hood piece, throttle and choke cable, dash etc. This tractor was purchased by my father and although the tractor got out of the family for a while, it has been returned to me which I am very pleased about. It is all there but weathered and worn. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Post subject: Re: restoration
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:02 pm 

hello bill man, what level of " restoration " are you going for? if its to be a show piece that's a whole different level then a reliable " worker ". the pieces you mentioned would be simple and easy to get . decals can get pricy. I think I would get after the obvious heavy repair areas. front end sloppiness , rear end noisy?. steering column play, wire issues, safety switches . break it down, to parts to refinish and paint. belts and pulleys to replace. new seat. engine need rebuilding ? , probably, great rebuilding kits available on line. not you cup of tea? you could price out a machine shop long block, and finish the rest yourself. rear axel oil seals and flushing is very important. pto needle bearings should be flushed out and repacked with specific grease to reduce drag , makes your take offs run easier and quicker. just a few areas to consider , lots of other ideas and answers on this site. if I help out let me know, pete

Post subject: Re: restoration
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:34 am 

http://www.redoyourhorse.com/ for decals

The Wheel Horse Red Square site will have more info and many folks have spare parts
http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/