Wheel Horse Forum

It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Selling stuff
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 4:25 pm 

Recently, I've had several items for sale. Parts, whole tractors, etc. in my ads I try to clearly state the price, it is firm, location, and the fact I'm doing cash sales. What do I get? Low ballers. People wanting to trade their junk. People who say they'll be out, then never show. People who get unbelievably rude and vulgar when I restate my original position and don't want their junk.

Therefore, it is most likely the future will see everything sold for scrap. You want a 520 swept axle with gear reduction steering? You will find it at my local scrap yard cut into pieces. No matter how desirable, how valuable, or how rare, rather than deal with rude, lying people who do not understand the concept of a cash deal, I'll take the scrap rate and have an easy sale. The parts, or even whole tractors will be cut up into unrestorable pieces.

It's just not worth dealing with those people while waiting for that one, honest, intelligent person to respond.

Dale, mid-Michigan

C-101SS
C-Horse ( C-141 + Commando 800)
Kubota BX-2670

Post subject: Re: Selling stuff
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 9:26 am 

"Right Person > Right Item > Right Price > Right Time . . . ."

That is the whole 'trick' or 'problem' in selling parts. I like to go to the bigger shows
where there are a lot of Wheel Horse people, most everyone will talk, discuss, comment
on the parts, condition, need and a realistic price to move that item.
Sometimes I've even raised my first asking price & got it. There's really not much profit
in this hobby, hopefully just a kinda "averaging out".

It's the people and discussion we have that I like the best about these Wheel Horses & shows.

Michigan Glen

Post subject: Re: Selling stuff
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 1:34 pm 

I have met some really good people at various shows over the years, that I will admit to. When I started with this hobby 25+ years ago, it was a good hobby, good people. Lately, there are too many get rich quick artists getting involved, the hobby guys just supporting their hobby are getting fewer between.

This all started when I went through a divorce several years ago. No one was interested in a fair price, or even below a fair price, they only wanted to take advantage of a guy in a tight spot for their own profit.

Not being in a position to attend many shows, that's not really an option for me. By the time I pay for additional travel expenses of dragging the trailer etc., financially, I'd be just as well off taking scrap price with no hassle.

This isn't an overnight feeling, it's developed over many years of many people wanting to take advantage, and if they couldn't, be rude and vulgar as an alternative. I'm just tired of it, I'm done. You will still see me at the occasional show as I do like to visit with the people who I've known for many years, people who started with a hobby all those years ago like I did.

Dale, mid-Michigan

C-101SS
C-Horse ( C-141 + Commando 800)
Kubota BX-2670