Wheel Horse Forum

It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:02 am 

Hi everyone, I've never owned a Wheelhorse tractor before and I had a few questions. I found a Wheelhorse 753 for sale on Craigslist, and the guy is asking 500 for it. I'm going Monday morning to see it, but from the pictures I would say it's in fair to good condition definitely could use some fresh paint. I haven't asked him any questions yet I wanted to see the tractor in person first. I already have a Farmall A and I was looking for a simple garden tractor. I was wondering if this was a good model, and also if 500 is a fair price. It does come with the mower deck, which also seems in good shape. I don't really know much about this brand so any information would be helpful. Thank you!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:18 pm 

If it's in real nice working condition, runs, minimum rust and has a deck . . . yes.
You can always start lower and go up. The 753 is unique and parts are a little harder to find if you need to replace any, but the early 60's were well made and last & last.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:20 pm 

He just put new front tires on it, and also spent $300 to get it serviced. From the pictures it seems to have minimum rust, and the deck is gear driven. I don't really know much about the brand, and I wanted to make sure the price was at a good starting point. Thank you for the response!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:59 am 

So the tractor had some issues. The guy said it always gave him trouble with slipping out of gear, and the clutch was shaking like crazy. He said he took it to a lawn mower mechanic and the guy couldn't tell him what was wrong with the clutch. He also didn't fix the shifter, and put the wrong belt size on for the mower deck. For $500 I had to walk away. I probably let a good deal go, but to me it just didn't feel right.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:22 pm 

You did the right thing . . . "always listen to your gut",

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:09 am 

I actually ended up finding a Lawn Ranger (model number L 156 and serial number 262046) for $300. The only real issue it had was the float in the carberator needs to be adjusted, and it needed a new belt for the mower deck. I'm thinking about just buying a whole new carberator because it's not the original engine. The guy did give me one of his spare rebuild kit. Should I rebuild it or buy a new carberator? Oh and the model number on the engine is H60-7545OL.