Wheel Horse Forum

It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:46 am 

I have a 1973 16 hp hydrostatic wheel horse (model 1-0440).
Right now it starts to drive power after about 3 minutes of running. It won't go up even slight hills, and kind of starts rocking back and forth.
I bought it used a year ago, and think I probably put in a different hydro fluid than was originally used by the last owner. I plan on changing the fluid and using a dexron III automatic transmission fluid.
Is dexron III the right fluid? Will by tranny be buggered if I mixed fluids or put the wrong fluid in?
This tractor has actually been a nightmare. It breaks down a lot. Does anyone have experience with 70s horses? Is it a losing battle?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:50 am 

Let's hope the filter is restricted and a change will bring it back to life. Use a 51410 Wix or 1410 Napa filter which is a filter designed for hydraulic systems and does not have a bypass valve. If the oil is red use Dexron III or if motor oil use SAE10-30 or SAE10-40 multigrade. You can not mix the 2 types of oil and it could have either in it. The dry capacity is 5 quarts so it will take the best part of that for a change.
As a matter of interest post the number off the filter that is on it now. The current Toro 79-5270 filter has a bypass valve which is not much help if you have a transmission problem. The filter plugs up, bypasses and allows the crap back into the system. Good luck with it.

Garry

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:31 pm 

What's the easiest way to change the transmission oil? I didn't see an obvious drain plug on the bottom of the tranny?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:47 am 

i would also check the obvious and make sure the belt turns,and is properly tightened.

i guess i have a little problem understanding the second line on your original post

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:33 pm 

The frame actually was cracked when I got it, and actually broke, resulting in the drive pulley being ground and the belt getting burnt. I welded the frame and replaced the pulley and the belt, so I know that's definitely not the problem. It's the first thing I checked. I had used it for 2 months to clear snow this winter, before it started losing power. The engine doesn't lose power at all, just the drive.

Marcus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:06 pm 

There should be a plug in the left half of the transaxle case. It is likely flush with the bottom and the Allen socket is full of dirt. Clean it out and drive the allen wrench in with a hammer to make sure it is seated - you don't want to strip the Allen hex trying to get it out. It would be best to use a good quality 3/8" drive bit to remove the pipe plug because the threads are tapered.

Garry

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:51 pm 

I've changed the transmission oil to a drexon III oil and replaced the filter. It still doesn't work. Is the transmission a write-off? Is it possible to get it fixed?