Wheel Horse Forum

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 312-8 starting problem
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:19 pm 

hi yo'll

i have a wheel horse 312-8
when i try to start it nothing happens... like the battery is dead.
replaced the battery and still the same.
a neighbour said, start it with a screw driver across the solenoid terminals? started fine.
"thinks" solenoid must be broken. so i changed it for one i have had for a while (unused) but i think it's OK. but still the 312-8 will only start, the screw driver way.

my question is , is it the solenoid that is faulty, and would it be worth buying a new one, or would the same thing happen. i have no way of knowing if the one i put in works or not. but i and dubeus about buying another if it's not the solenoid that is faulty.

any ideas?????

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:30 pm 

Without knowing what you model number is I will guess you have a safety switch on the pto lever - pto must be off to close the starter 1/2 of the switch. This switch is at the right end of the battery and the other 1/2 controls the ignition.

There is a switch operated by the lever your clutch idler pulley is mounted on. Clutch must be down. The switch can be seen on the right side panel if you look down the slots your shifters travel in.

Some models have a low oil switch in the starter circuit. Low motor oil = no start. If you have to remove that switch ask for the instructions before you remove it. It is very easily damaged and the instructions show how to do it safely.

Post your tractor's model number and serial number or the spec number off the engine and will try to locate the proper wiring diagram for it.

Garry

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:13 pm 

model no. R112K803 serial no. 1030039 it has a Kohler magnum12 engine and on the side it say Wheel horse Classic TORO 312-8 speed

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:45 pm 

Can not find an operator manual using your 1991 model number but did find a manual with the model listed at this site
https://lookup3.toro.com/request/request.cfm
Use R1-12K804 for a model number and 2012345 for a serial number. This is a 1992 model but lists the 1991 on the manual. After all that it has no wiring diagram in it.

You can download a detailed wiring diagram for the 1991 North American models from the Files of
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wheelhors ... anuals3_1/
Membership is required. The file is named
Tractor 1991 312-8 31-12K802 Wiring Detailed
These pages are taken from the 523 page Demystification Guide we can download from Toro. They are easy to understand as each circuit has it's own diagram. I can not find the engine spec number for your tractor to verify these are correct for you but quite confident they are the same.

A word of caution. Your ignition system is self powered so do not accidentally allow any battery voltage into the ignition circuit. It will cook the trigger and coil - an expensive repair. 1/2 of the pto switch and the seat switch have the ignition wire in them. To stop the engine that wire is simply grounded to the chassis. Open circuit and it will run. Be careful when testing.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Garry

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:01 pm 

Once, on my 312-8, When I tried to crank it up, there wasn't anything on the voltmeter, wouldn't crank at all. Cleaned corrosion off battery, still nothing. I just changed the fuses and it cranked right up. So, I might check the fuse if you already haven't. The small things make a big difference!

1984 LT-1600 5 Speed
1986 312-8

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:34 am 

thanks guys for the advice.
i got a new battery for my ford yt16 the other day so when i got that going i used some jumper lead across to the wheel horse and it started right up. solenoid worked ok. no problem. so i guess it's the battery is faulty. it maybe is not giving out enough power at the start to kick the starter or solenoid in to life