Wheel Horse Forum

It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 2:47 pm 

Need help with tie rod replacement!!! I may be female, but I am no dummy when it comes to working on pretty much anything! My dad has a 1978 Wheel Horse that is in excellent running order but I hate calling him every time I have an issue and there are some differences between his and mine.

Recently while using my 518H the right side tie rod ball joint wore out. I researched replacement tie -rods and what I found was that the old tie rod part #s are 102593 (left side) and 102592 (right side) the replacement part comes up as Toro # 78-2900-01 which is an adjustable tie rod which replaces both the left AND right side tie rods! Went to my local dealer, bought the Toro # 78-2900-01 came home and put it on my tractor, of course I had to turn the fitting to be in the correct position to go onto the tractor. I put it on and found that for some reason I have to adjust it way out on the threads to get the wheels to line up. If I leave it at the 9 1/2 inch length as the original tie rod the back of the wheel is cambered in toward the back, if I adjust it to have the tires lined up it's really far out on the threads, can only turn it 5 turns max which concerns me that there isn't enough thread used which may cause instability and cause the tie rod to break. Can anyone help me with this issue or give me some enlightenment on as to why that side would be so far off from the left side? And if only having 5 threads covered will cause an issue?

This is a hydrostatic tractor. I've owned it for approximately 3 or 4 years and the person I bought it from didn't seem too knowledgeable of the tractor. PLEASE HELP! I just want to get my tractor back out and be able to use it!

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 8:44 am 

The arm that comes off the steering spindle that the tie rod goes into can twist very easily if the tire happens to run into something. When the arm is twisted the tie rod stud does not go into it straight down. I have used a large adjustable wrench closed up on the arm to twist it back into position. A little bend makes a big difference to the toe in.
Have heard of owners breaking the steering arm off trying to restore the original condition but if it breaks that easy it was a poor weld in the first place.

Garry

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 3:43 am 

Thank you so much! I'll have to look at it! That seems to make sense. I'm a girl on a mission to get this tractor back in shape! I appreciate you posting your comment. I'll update as soon as I can! :D