Wheel Horse Forum

It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1988 16 HORSE INFO
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:04 pm 

Need to know how many or is there just one 16 horse wheelhorse year 1988. I have a relative and he wants to sell it and thats all the info i have. It comes with snow blade for 400.00 and most of its use was mowing cementarys.Will it have a koler or onan and did they only make a 416 that year.Thanks for info.

Post subject: Re: 1988 16 HORSE INFO
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:21 pm 

In 1988 they used a Kohler single cylinder and an Onan twin cylinder. Here is how you can tell. Go to
https://lookup3.toro.com/partdex/index.cfm?xCaller=Toro
In the green bar click on Advanced Search.
Next page 2nd box select Riding Products
3rd box select 1988
8th box select 16hp
Then click on Submit in the top right corner.
That will bring up all the Toro products in 1988 with 16hp which is 4 models.
Now click on Product details for each one to see the engines used.

Toro bought Wheel Horse in 1986 and it took them a few years before they changed the name from Wheel Horse to Toro so we left the 1st box set to all to make sure we got them all. If you have 1986 product or older you can safely use Wheel Horse in the search.
The B1-xxxx model is likely and export model from the US to Europe or Australia.

Garry

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:47 pm 

Thanks gary , i am sure its a 416, but if its the 516 is this a good tracter and worth the 400.00 i know its in good shape its always stored out of the weather, but the onan is hard to get parts for isnt it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:19 pm 

Cummins Diesel are the supplier of the Onan parts and they are very proud of them I understand = expensive compared to other makes.

Have never had an Onan but the biggest downfall I see in the engine is the owners don't remove the tinwork around the cylinders and clean the dirt off the cooling fins on a regular basis. This causes the engines to run hot and they lose the steel valve seats out of the aluminum casting. They are a well built engine with a good design and should outlast others with proper care - and some lucky ones do. Thousands of these engines are powering welders, refrigeration compressors and generators with a long life span. I suspect the grass cutting creates a dirty environment and the source of restricted cooling in the tractor application.

Garry