Wheel Horse Forum

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:01 pm 

I've recently purchased a 1975 B-80 Wheel Horse that is in very good condition but does have a no charge anomaly. I've ran a dedicated ground from the rectifier/regulator, cleaned the connections on the rectifier/regulator, replaced any other electrical terminals that looked questionable and still it's not charging. I then tested the stator and it's generating 35 volts AC at full throttle....

Is it safe to conclude that I must replace the rectifier/regulator?

If so, then what part number would I have to search for? I've searched the forum and elsewhere and haven't had any luck so far.

Model # 1-0141
B-80 (1975)
Serial # 70506
Kohler # K181s (8 HP)

One more question... What size front tire and rim was OE? I have 2 sets of fronts, one pair 6" rims and the other set is 8".......

Thanks in advance........

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:01 am 

Sounds like the regulator has failed but the output goes through the ignition switch so it could be stopped their. You can get to the illustrated parts lists and a wiring diagram here
http://www.partstree.com/parts/
Put Toro in the 2nd box and the 1-0141 model number in the 3rd box. You can also get the tire sizes here under Wheels and Tires.
The regulator is a bit cheaper here
http://www.rcpw.com/Oem_Parts.htm
Select Toro-Lawnboy and enter the 101450 part number. This is a 15 amp unit and Stens has a replacement #435-084.
Have also seen where the shunt on the ammeter fails preventing the charging current from getting to the battery. You could try a temporary jumper from the regulator output terminal to the battery (+) and see if it brings the DC voltage up. Still need a battery in good condition.

Garry

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:19 pm 

Garry, Thanks for the reply and info.....

My battery is new as is the ignition switch. I'll try the jumper. From what I've seen so far, the 101450 has 3 terminals inline where the terminal arrangement is different, where one is below the other 2.... Looks like this _ _
_

What exactly is the shunt? If it's bad, would the ammeter have to be replaced?