Wheel Horse Forum

It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Charging System C 160
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:17 am 

I am having trouble shooting the charging system on my 76 C160 the charging system is not charging the battery would appreciate your help...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:27 pm 

Sorry I missed this post.
First make sure you have 12 volts at the center terminal or 12 volt DC terminal of the voltage regulator with the key on but the engine not running. This reading should be the same as the voltage across the battery posts. This is required for the system to work. Next start the engine and see if the voltage across the battery increases to approx. 13 volts and a maximuum of approx. 14.2 volts DC. If not add a jumper from the body of the regulator to the negative battery post. It the voltage comes up the regulator body does not have a good battery ground through the chassis metal back to the battery. The easiest way to fix this is to add a ground wire from one of the regulator mounting bolts to the negative battery cable. Next remove the 3-wire connector from the regulator. The 2 outside wires go to the flywheel stator. With the motor running connect your voltmeter set on the AC scale to the stator wires and at high rpm (3600) you should have at least 28 volts AC. If not the flywheel stator or wiring to it is at fault. If you do have 28 volts the voltage reulator is likely at fault. Corroded connections is the biggest cause of a no charge condition. Keep us posted on your progress.

Garry

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:22 pm 

Gquest, I also have a C160 but the PO changed motor to a K321S. Would your post apply to mine also or is the K321S different?? Thanks Dunk

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:52 pm 

Dunk,

To be sure post your engine spec number and will check. There are about 4 different systems but the most common is the 15amp the 1976 C-120 used above. If you have an external voltage regulator the above will apply. The other differences need to be identified if you require parts.

Garry

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:16 pm 

Mine is a k321s 60424. Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:02 am 

Dunk,

You engine was originally used in the 1985 314-8 and 314-A tractor models. Unless it has been changed it should have a flywheel stator with 2 windings.
One powers the lights only with 70 watts of AC current and that is all it does. The engine must be running for the lights to work and the higher the rpm the brighter the lights.
The second winding's output is unregulated but rectified by a diode with an output of 3 amps to charge the battery and power the battery ignition. It does not normally use a voltage regulator although Wheel Horse did offer one for cases where very long run times would overcharge the battery.
The proceedure for checking this is best described in the Kohler service manual you can get here
http://www.kohlerengines.com/onlinecata ... roductlist
It starts on page 8.10

The tractor's wiring harness should match that of the 1985 416-8 model 31-16K801 that has the wiring diagrams posted in
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wheelhors ... rmanuals3/
The file is named "Tractor 1985 416-8 31-16K801 Wiring only.pdf"

Keep us posted on your progress.

Garry