Wheel Horse Forum

It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 520H TROUBLES
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:26 pm 

Ok folks heres the story. I got this 520H for free. Brought it home, cleaned fuel strainer, fuel lines, changed filter. Changed oil and transmission oil. Started tractor and it ran fine through all throttle positions. Since I got it running I figured it only had 459 hours it would give me great service and had all new tires installed. Again tractor ran fine. I added more fuel in tank and tractor started pulsing at idle. I thought maybe I loosened something up in tank. Checked strainer and fuel flow (no problems). Tractor still pulsing at lower throttle settings, runs fine on top end. So i figured something got plugged in idle circuit of carb. Pulled top of carb off, cleaned bowl, sprayed cleaner through all ports etc.. Everything seemed to be clear. Put it back together now it seems like its running rich and popping a little like it's misfiring at all speeds. The lower end is not pulsing anymore but it is at the upper end of throttle range. Looking for suggestions or help. I was going to pull the whole carb but seems like a big task since it bolts from bottom of manifold exhaust etc.. in the way.

Update: I have installed new plugs and no change. I shut off fuel supply and just before the bowl emptied the engine smoothed out. That tells me (based upon my experience) it's loading up i.e. running rich.

Post subject: Re: 520H TROUBLES
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:53 pm 

John71 Since I am not sure of the year I used 1988 model#31-20OE01 go here you can download some manuals for this model. put your model # in and hit search you will see down a ways other information just click on them to get the information.
https://homeownersolutions.toro.com/por ... etailsPage
Maybe this will help you!!
Chas

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:14 pm 

WH854 wrote:
John71 Since I am not sure of the year I used 1988 model#31-20OE01 go here you can download some manuals for this model. put your model # in and hit search you will see down a ways other information just click on them to get the information.
https://homeownersolutions.toro.com/por ... etailsPage
Maybe this will help you!!
Chas

Chas,

Thanks for the reply. Ientered my model number (4120oE02) and no matches. this is the tractor model number. Model number for engine is wiped off. Any further assistance would be appreciated

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:32 pm 

John71 you enter it like this 41-20OE02 Worked for me you have to put the dash after 41
Chas

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:41 pm 

WH854 wrote:
John71 you enter it like this 41-20OE02 Worked for me you have to put the dash after 41
Chas

Chas,

I did that a few times. Finally worked. Thanks for your time. Not much for troubleshooting in the manuals but I guess it's a start. Thanks again.

John

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:29 pm 

I had a 516H doing something like that and I removed the carb and soaked it overnight in a good carb cleaner. After reassembly it ran fine for a while and then started doing the same thing again. Repeated the above and got same results. Finally cured it by replacing the carb with another one I had off a 520H.

When it had the problem the rpm's would fluctuate up and down and not steady out. It wasn't as bad with the mower load on it but I drove me nuts for a while.

Since the mower was free watch Ebay for one. There have been a lot of 520 parts on there lately. Way to many being parted out that must be why I keep buying them before somebody else.

jrranch2@hotmail.com
http://www.cowboysredhorses.com

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:23 pm 

um this happened to me before but i would try checking the float level cleaning the carb THEN adjust the mixture to adjust the float there is a metal tab on the float that you bend turn the carb upside down the float should sit level when the carb is upside down also remove all the jets and clean them with one of the wires off of a wire brush (removed from the brush you may use pliers) keep me posted