Wheel Horse Forum

It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 10:53 pm 

My wheelhorse 416 h with a 16 hp engine quit while mowing. The oil smells like it is a little burnt, so I am expecting the worst. It turns over well, but won't start. Any ideas on what it might be? Also wondering if it is more cost effective to put a new engine on, or have this one rebuilt, or just scrap it. I hate to as I just put all new belts and blades on it. Any suggestions would be very helpful and appreciated.
Thanks
Jeff

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 10:05 pm 

Well the first thing to do is see if you have spark and fuel. If you have no spark check to make sure you have 12 volts at the coil with the key on. If it doesn't you can run a jumper wire from the battery to the coil and if it starts you most likely have a safety switch open. Make sure you don't have the PTO engaged. The other possibility for no spark is the ignition trigger. If you don't have the demystification guide you need to download that from the Toro site. It has all the wiring diagrams.

If you don't have fuel. check fuel lines, filter, fuel pump ect.

If it just quit while running I have had Onans that did that when hot but restarted when cooled down or ran for 5 to 10 minutes and die and that was the ignition module. Take it from me and buy a new one if that is your problem don't buy a used one off Ebay and end up with the same problem within a couple months. I speak from experience on that.

jrranch2@hotmail.com
http://www.cowboysredhorses.com

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 12:06 am 

I have fuel, but it is not firing so I will check those items you mentioned. Thanks for the help, I really do appreciate it. :)