Wheel Horse Forum

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:44 am 

Hello,
Restoring my 1965 WH 855 with a Kohler 181s engine. Having problems with governor and throttle cable travel. Manual calls for turning the governor shaft CCW, positioning the throttle in WOT and tightening bolt. When installing cable, manual calls for positioning throttle in open position and inserting wire in speed coontrol disc hole nearest throttle bracket the clamping down cable. When I do this, I get very short travel at the throttle control (about 1 inch) and the throttle control will not stay pulled out. Whats the problem?
Also, what is the correct route to run the throttle and choke cables and also the fuel line?
Thanks,
Joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:24 pm 

An inch sounds about right.

For it not staying pulled out, you need a locking cable. That's where you give the knob a twist to lock it in place. The one you have may either be worn out, or never was, a locking cable.

Dale

Dale, mid-Michigan and the wonderful world of Linux

C-101SS
C-Horse ( C-141 + Commando 800)
Kubota BX-2670

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:36 pm 

Joe,

Go back to a thread titled 'Governor Adjustments' on Sept 11. Jason was having problems and he got it sorted out. The CW and CCW doesn't always work.

Have modified most of my throttle controls that are the lever type. I replaced the lever pivot rivet with a bolt and nylock nut plus washers. The bolt must have enough unthreaded shank to go through the flat metal parts to minimize wear. This requires cuting the bolt off leaving only enough thread for the nut plus a bit. Now I just tighten the nut when I need more friction to hold it in position. Of course if your's is the push-pull type this won't work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:15 pm 

Garry's right... I had that same problem. Take the governor section of the manual and literally go line by line. You can't skip any steps because you "think you know" what came next. Your inch of travel is adjustable with the speed control disk. the disk might need to be move back in a little bit after you adjust the shaft. I can't stress enough, just take you time, follow the manual line by line, and it will work out. Play around with it a little bit, and don't let it stress you out. You should also be able to recognize where and how you can make minor adjustments too.

--"I knew it, I'm surrounded by....." Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:01 pm 

The push-pull locking throttle cable for the 855 is still available from Toro. The original number 5171 has been replaced by 102119 and according to RCPW is $21.59. Here is a link to their site - Select Toro-Lawnboy and enter part number.
http://www.rcpw.com/Oem_Parts.htm

If you need an owner manual and illustrated parts list it can be downloaded from
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wheelhorsetractormanuals

You can also download Jason's Kohler K181 manual from
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wheelhorsetractormanuals4
for the governor adjustment instructions.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:37 pm 

new here. it sounds like the place to be. i have a k181 and can not get the governor working. i read the post and one that i could not find. that is governor adjustments on sept 11. can not find it. thanks for the help. jim

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:43 pm 

Do a search for Governor adjustments with jschahl as the author.

One of the results is Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:56 pm

Click on that message title and the whole thread comes up.

Hope this works.

Garry

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:46 am 

Garry,
I did everything you said, but can not find a post that fits that description. If you can find it again, copy the complete url and paste it here. Following links is much faster, easier, and always wind up in the right place as opposed to doing searches.

I'm not dissing searches, they can yield great results, but getting the same results twice, by two different people, on different computers, doesn't always happen.

Dale, mid-Michigan and the wonderful world of Linux

C-101SS
C-Horse ( C-141 + Commando 800)
Kubota BX-2670