Wheel Horse Forum

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: kohler 10h carb linkage
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:46 pm 

i think i have my carb linkage bass ackwards. i had to rebuild the motor after i snapped the cam shaft and i have somthing somewhere wrong. i cannot get the accelerator cable to do any movement on the carb topside.
hopefully you can look at this and tell me what is wrong.

thank you for your help in advance :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:36 pm 

The throttle cable pulls the governor spring to open the carb throttle plate. The governor when running pulls the carb linkage towards the idle position. It is the balance of these 2 forces that gives the rpm you want.
I am not used to seeing the governor spring in a hole that close to the governor shaft and as such the spring will have little influence on the force developed by the governor = low engine speeds. If you look carefully at the holes half way down you may see wear where the spring used to be. If not put it in one of the middle holes. That should get you running. What all those holes are for is if the engine is slow to respond to an increased load before the governor reacts you can move the spring to a hole closer to the shaft. If it reacts too quickly or over reacts to a change in engine load move the spring towards the end of the arm.
Be careful with the spring and don't just bend the coils to remove. Take one of the arms off so you don't distort the spring. Do you know the proceedure for setting the governor? This must be done whenever the arm is removed from the governor shaft or whenever the carb has been removed. The instructions in the Kohler service manual are quite confusing but there is a simple version that covers all engines. Also a Kohler service manual is available for download if you need one and it contains a good section on the starter/generator.

Garry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:28 pm 

The end of the throttle cable-wire must have that double-90ยบ bend so the lever on the choke moves freely, you can still make it with the wire left there as there is play left.
You need the "Kohler Engines single-cylinder Service Manual" #TP-2379, about $12; fastest way to get it is next-day & free delivery from your local auto parts supplier (like NAPA, etc..).
Good Luck,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:15 pm 

thanks for the quick responses. i had it move with the cable before so i put it back and it seemed wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:52 am 

i did have the throttle linkage backwards, here is the picture of how it works
and a picture of the broken cam shaft