Wheel Horse Forum

It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:12 am 

Hi I have 23 x 9.5 x 12 tires on my 89, can I put a set of 10.5 on and if i do will the chains still fit?
I don't mean the the 9.5 chains I mean the new set of 10.5 chains.
Are AG tires taller than turf? Where do you guys go to have new rubber put on your rims?

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:44 pm 

10.5" wide tires will add 1/2" inside and out over 9.5" tires, you can answer your own question by looking to see if there will still be enough clearance with it being 1/2" less. On the tractors I've had, the answer is yes, but tractors can and do vary.

Wider chains would be ideal for the wider tires, but I've run chains for 9.5" wide tires on 10.5's, but I did have to keep them snug to keep them in place.

The 23 in the size tire you state means the tire is rated 23" diameter. The actual size will vary from brand to brand and model to model. It is possible for ags to be taller than some turfs of the same rating, it's also possible for them to be shorter. Some ags of the same rated size will be taller than others, ditto on turfs. Your best bet is to research the exact size of the tire you're looking at. Carlisle is very good about listing rated and actual sizes on their website, other brands not so much so.

When mounting new tires, I just go the garage. :lol: The mini tire changer from Harbor Freight, along with some true tire irons makes it not quite so big of an ordeal. I've bought tires from numerous online and local stores. I've got some of my best deals from the locally owned, mom and pop tire store down the street.

Dale, mid-Michigan

C-101SS
C-Horse ( C-141 + Commando 800)
Kubota BX-2670

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:41 am 

Thanks for the great info. I have been busy buying and installing wheel weights and a new fuel filter. I have spent two weeks trying to find 8 1/2" wide rims with the correct 1 1/2" wheel horse backset. Do you have any clues on where to find them? I have the 37" deck and want to go to 8" spindles and wheels some say it can be done. I have alot of room.

Attachments:
fr wheel and deck.JPG
fr wheel and deck.JPG [ 132.76 KiB | Viewed 377 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:47 pm 

The 520's came with 8.50" wide 12" diameter wheels. Alternatively, wheels can be widened, and depending on your skills, the center disk can be cut out and welded back in to give the correct offset. I've run wheels with non-Wheel Horse offsets and they work, just depends on which way and by how much they are different. Not the best alternative, but spacers could be used to account for varying offset.

The clearance between the mower deck and front tire is at it's least at full lock. Check your clearances there rather than straight ahead, check both sides too. Some mower decks sit closer to the front wheels than others, and I can't speak which mower decks on your tractor require the additional clearance, and which may not. Remember, width as well as diameter affect clearance at full lock, so account for both when checking for clearance before investing a lot in wheels and tires. Speaking of different wheels, also consider if the offset is different as that could also affect clearance.

It's not as bad as my lengthy reply may imply, I've changed wheels and tires on all 4 corners of Wheel Horses, as well as other brands, to achieve the goals I was looking for to fit my particular circumstances, as opposed to the "one size fits all" stock arrangement.

Dale, mid-Michigan

C-101SS
Kubota BX-2670

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:23 pm 

Hi Thanks for the great info. I purchased a set of HD spindles off of a 857 they are for 8" wheels and are 1" shorter that the 6" wheels. I bought a set of 16 x 6.5 x 8 tires and rims off of a guy on the red square. I bought a set of V61 and tubes from miller. These are 6 ply 5 rib hope all fits, if not I will buy a 42" deck and sell the 37 and bagger.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/371714738890?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

Attachments:
unnamed.jpg
unnamed.jpg [ 30.8 KiB | Viewed 372 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:46 pm 

FYI, those are not HD spindles that Wheel Horse offered in an HD kit including spindles, wheels and tires. They are just standard Wheel Horse spindles.

There are several variations of standard spindles, the differences mostly being how the wheel is retained on the spindle, and the spindle in the axle. These included a center bolt, an outside retaining ring, and I think even a cotter key. One thing that can be said of Wheel Horse, a LOT of parts are interchangeable from one model to another so long as it's the same series, there is even some cross series interchangeability. More than once I've used parts from a different model, or even series, to attain my particular goals. Not everything interchanges, but a lot does making it easy and fun to build your own model of tractor. I have one out there with a C-141 decal on the hood, and 800 Commando on the hood stand.

Sounds like you have a good solid plan. I think you'll appreciate the advantages of the 8" front wheels.

Dale, mid-Michigan

C-101SS
Kubota BX-2670

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:11 pm 

I noticed you bought from Joe's Outdoor Power. I have in the past, one purchase was even a pair of 520 rear wheels. WOW, have prices ever gone UP!!! But then, I'm not going to admit the kind of timespan "in the past" means. :lol: Good thing I'm not trying to do anything now, I couldn't afford it what with increased prices while the income went the other way....

Dale, mid-Michigan

C-101SS
Kubota BX-2670